Although Glen Ridge is only three miles long and an average width of one half mile, its residents are afforded many advantages not usually found in so small a community. In addition to attractive park areas, within its limited boundaries its citizens are provided with nearly every service needed or desired in a residential community including a large general hospital.
Mountainside Hospital is owned and operated by The Mountainside Hospital Association, a non-profit New Jersey corporation established in 1890. The first hospital facilities, opened in 1891, were located in Montclair not far from the present hospital building. In 1915, the hospital moved to its present site on Bay Avenue. As the need for services increased, additions were made to the building, the latest of which was completed in 1974. The nurses’s home, located across the street from the hospital, was built in 1924 on the former site of the George Inness mansion.
The hospital serves the surrounding Essex County towns providing employment for over 1300 persons as well as outstanding medical services. It is also supports a School of Nursing, a Resident and post graduate training program for physicians and dentists and schools of medical, radiologic and histologic technology.
Emergency services are available at all times. Other services include a Poison Control Center, Outpatient Department, Social Service Department, Alcoholism Treatment Center, Speech & Hearing Unit, Cardio-respiratory Services and Rehabilitation Medicine Department. Hundreds of volunteers from Glen Ridge, Montclair, and nearby communities assist the hospital staff in providing for the comfort and well-being of patients.
Although the Borough population numbers 8,516 its birth rate is extremely high since all hospital births are registered in Glen Ridge.